Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Back in the USA


Well, it was a long trek but I finally made it back to California safe and sound for my one week visit during our Elephant's BYE week for our son Michael's graduation from Cal State-Channel Islands. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. in Aci Castello and caught the 3 hour flight on Air Malta (on time) from Catania to London at 8:40 a.m.

Once in London's Gatwick Airport, I had to catch the 30 minute Gatwick Express train into London's Victoria Station, get on the London Underground's Circle Line and ride for about 10 minutes to Paddington Station and finally take the 15 minute Heathrow Express train to London's Heathrow Airport to get on my Air New Zealand flight to Los Angeles! I arrived in Los Angeles at about 4:00 a.m. Catania time making for a 22 hour trip. Add another hour for customs and baggage claim plus the 1 hour drive to Camarillo and we have a 24 hour excursion in all.

IN-N-OUT

In 1946 a Southern California landmark was created, the IN-N-OUT hamburger stands. The first thing I wanted, O.K. maybe it WAS the second thing I wanted, was an IN-N-OUT burger. We hit the one in Camarillo. Please note, my Sicilian family, that they serve ICE and REFILLABLE SOFT DRINKS! We must learn from this.

This man and his daughter were in line with us at the IN-N-OUT.

She lives in SoCal and her Dad is visiting from Philadelphia. He had never been to an IN-N-OUT as they only exist in California, Nevada and Arizona. He was all excited about the food and I said to him that the In-N-OUT was so good that today I had breakfast in Sicily, lunch in London and, for dinner, IN-N-OUT, which would easily be my culinary highlight of the day.

He said to me "Sicily? My family is from Siracusa!" We then proceeded to tell each other how great Sicily is. Small world...

"Two Double-Doubles, Grilled Onions, an order of Fries and a Dr. Pepper. To go please."

Casa Contreras in Camarillo and my beloved black Chrysler LHS

Claudio, please give me some landscaping tips.

Our son Michael and I at Cronies Sports Grill in Camarillo for lunch today, excellent Club Sandwich by the way.

Coach Matteo, note the Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys jersey that we posed by on purpose just for you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael is your spitting image George...glasses, beard...he is your mini me!!! So glad to have you home!!

JTwice said...

George -- IN AND OUT!!! In the words of a dressed up Roman Gladiator outside the Coliseum who we only gave 2 Euro to after posing for a picture with him, "BASTARDO!"

Haha... seriously jealous right now! Had a great day in Florence, now off through the Tuscany and prob Cinque Terra domani... have fun!

JJ

George said...

Those Roman Gladiators always had a charming wit about them.

If you need me, I'll be in the Ventura Harbor today having lunch and probably renting a boat of some kind to cruise around and gawk at the big boats.

Unknown said...

No matter where we ROME, home is where we like the best.

Have a wonderful time in CA.

Terry