Monday, November 26, 2012

Loose Ends and the Lyon Christmas Market


Still enjoying the afterglow of the Falcons' victory on Sunday, I arose early for once, full of energy and ready to attack a new day.

First though, I wanted to add a few more pictures from yesterday's Aigles vs. Falcons game.

Stade Pierre Duboeuf
Home of the
Bron-Villeurbanne Falcons

The Walkway to Victory

Stade Pierre Dubeouf Scoreboard


I love the Home and Visitor designations in easy to understand symbols rather than words.

I opted on this drizzly Monday morning to go into downtown Lyon to the Gare de Lyon-Perrache to visit the just opened Christmas Market.

But first . . .


Lyon's Catholic University


The buzz here was all about the Notre Dame victory over USC last Saturday night and how the Irish would beat the tar out of whichever SEC team they match up with in the BCS National Championship game in January.

Catholics tend to stick together although I am one Catholic who neither loves nor hates ND. I do admire the fact that the ND fans are behind their beloved Irish come win, Faust or tie.

The Lyon Christmas Market 


 Happy Holidays


Red was the Color of the Day 


Only two things say Christmas
in France more than Santa . . . 


1. Canadian Bison Burgers/Hot Dogs
and . . . 


 2. A Native American Tepee

HUGE Spice Cakes


Be strong . . .


Interesting Santa 


These all looked delicious


Be strong . . . 


Christmas Market Hammer Time?


Be strong . . .

Candied Fruits


Be . . .

Well, actually, fruits are part of a healthy diet.

Oranges are VERY high in Vitamin C 


I caved.


 The Christmas Market has dozens of
shops selling artisan crafts as well
as various edible items


These two ladies were selling great
handmade embroidered goodies 


I bought one to bring home.


Lunch Time


And, OH SO GOOD FOR ME!!!

Don't let that smile fool you,
SHE IS IN LEAGUE WITH THE DEVIL!


She charmed/forced me to buy a bag of delicious cookies.

Funny,
I need to buy a new pair of shoes 


Rhum Baba


I ran into Falcons' Team President Christophe Thuau who highly recommended these tasty treats soaked in alcohol. They came soaked in either rum, Grand Marnier or limoncello. I sampled them all before setting on a small jar of the Grand Marnier Baba.

As nice as the Lyon Christmas Market is, I have been told by everyone here that it pales badly in comparison to the one in the northern French city of Strasbourg. I am going to try to take the train there this weekend.

Christmas is such a GREAT
time for children

This morning's trip to the Christmas Market has really gotten me into the holiday spirit much earlier than usual. The prediction of the first snow fall of the season in Lyon by the end of the week only adds to the feeling.

JOYEUX NÖEL!

No comments: