Saturday, June 29, 2013

Westlake H.S. Football 35 Year Celebration


Beginning with the 1978 football season, I spent 11 wonderful years serving as the Head Football Coach at Westlake H.S. in Westlake Village, California.

It was my first head coaching job and Westlake was opening in 1978 as a brand new school without a Senior class.

It was a marvelous era to be a coach.

On Friday night, Jim Benkert, the highly successful coach who replaced me when I opted to step down after the 1988 season, put on a reunion of sorts to celebrate 35 years of Warrior football.

It was held at the posh
Canyon Club in Agoura, California

L. to R.: OLB Tony Ponticelli, me,
TE/DE Carl Stack and HB Glenn Wellman

A so-so coach can win a lot of games with gtreat players like these. 

Front Row, L. to R.: WR Erik Holcomb, FB Steve Sidler and OT Craig Weisman

Back Row, L. to R.: TE/DE Carl Stack, OLB Tony Ponticelli, HB Larry Katz, FS/WR Bill Fisher, HB Glenn Wellman, OT Mike Volk, me, OG Ken Katz

A whole lot of games . . .

Laurie and I had a lot of fun seeing these men who had such an impact on our lives.

We have been blessed to be around so many disciplined, hard working men like these over the many seasons.

This week I really have to start looking for a car to buy as I have not owned a vehicle of my own since I left to coach in Switzerland 17 months ago.

A Fiat 500 would be nice but . . .

I might really be a Vespa man at heart

No comments: